To purchase a print of this drawing by author/artist Lee Pantas, visit
Cherry Orchard Studio
7th Avenue Depot Historic District
This district is located two blocks northeast of Main Street and separated from
Main Street by new commercial development. The district still shows a cohesive
grouping of commercial, residential and transportation-related structures
typical of the early development of Hendersonville, especially the period after
the arrival of the railroad.
Seventh Avenue East developed as a commercial district during the late 19th and
early 20th centuries and was centered around the first depot built in 1879. The
majority of buildings are one and two story brick commercial and warehouse
structures located along 7th Avenue. Only minor alterations to the commercial
buildings have occurred and these are mainly at the storefront level. Very
little construction took place after the Great Depression. This district, with
its frame depot, approximately 28 brick commercial buildings and the Station
Hotel is one of the best surviving examples of a railroad district in western
North Carolina. The buildings in the district are primarily commercial in
function and provided services that were associated with a shipping point for
locally grown cash crops.
Directions: Take North Main Street north to 6th Avenue. Turn right and go 2
blocks. Turn left onto North Grove Street. Proceed on North Grove across Four
Seasons Boulevard. Take a right onto East 7th Avenue. The Depot is just ahead on
Hendersonville Depot (NRHP) SE Corner of 7th Avenue and Maple St.
This depot was the second station to be built by Southern Railway in the city
and was built between 1902 and 1904. A frame structure with characteristics of
the Craftsman style of architecture, it originally was 87 feet long and
consisted of two waiting rooms, an agentís office and had indoor plumbing. In
1906, 15 more feet were added to each end of the station to provide a ladies
waiting room and more baggage space. A few years later, an open pavilion area
was added to the north end, and in 1916 another 50 feet were added to the roofed
over, open pavilion area.
The railroad line was opened from Spartanburg, S.C. to Hendersonville in 1879, a
year before Asheville was to receive a line from the east. The railroad brought
large numbers of visitors to Hendersonville and allowed the countyís produce to
reach a wider market in other cities. The last passenger service ended in 1968.
Since then the depot has been restored to its original color, and a Southern
Railway caboose located at the south end. Restoration is ongoing, and the depot
currently houses an operating model railroad in the baggage room. Visitors are
invited to visit this historic station. The Depot is open for visitors
year-round, Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Free. Call 828-890-0436 for more information.
Just north of the Depot, on the same side of the railroad tracks is the Station
Station Hotel (NRHP) 729 Maple St.
Built between 1912-1922, the Station Hotel is a two story brick building that
features a low tripped roof and a two tiered, full facade frame porch. This
relatively plain hotel was built near the tracks to serve the visitors who came
to Hendersonville by the railroad. The building is still operated today as a
hotel, although without its former polish and poise.